Conditions for community discussed

Athens City Council held a work session last night to compile a list of conditions for the development and requirements of the National Church Residences retirement community.

Council was attempting to form an ordinance that will soon be discussed for three readings, after which various amendments can be made.

Planning is a process of negotiations

said project architect George Berardi of Berardi & Associates. Nothing we have heard tonight is nothing we haven't heard before.

The center will be built on Stimpson Avenue near the Hocking River and is being constructed by National Church Residences of Columbus.

Council originally planned to have an ordinance written for Monday's council meeting, but now it doesn't sound likely, said Jim Sands, D-at large.

Council said the conditions should be formulated by Friday. Given the complexity of the issue we don't want to see a lot of amendments Sands said. Still, council members are open to residents' suggestions and promised to make necessary amendments. Included in the conditions that were discussed was the issue of moving the sewer lines. Nancy Bain, D-3rd Ward, opposed this action because she believed it will only have a bad outcome, she said.

The 30- to 40-foot right-of-way on Stimpson Avenue near the proposed site should also be left as it is, she said.

The 100-year flood plain is also a serious concern for the building of this new facility. This is an area designated as at-risk for flooding based on calculations of average maximum flooding levels.

Although the center will be raised above the floodplain, its possible environmental effects have brought controversy since the plan's introduction.

There has to be a guaranteed evacuation plan for all residences, and all evacuation routes must be above the flood plain, Bain said. There are continued concerns for the safety of the facility, as well as for the impact the facility will have on neighbors.

Where is the water supposed to go

other than the neighbor's yards? asked Bain.

The conditions should be understood and final building plans should be submitted before an ordinance is written out, she said.

Not all members were in agreement with the changes that were discussed and thought a more finalized plan of the facility should be finished before any further discussion is made.

Why add something to this plan when the minimum requirements have not been met? asked Paul Wiehl, D-1st Ward.

Council members still are concerned with details of the plan and don't want to rush the ordinance-writing process.

I am worried that we are being asked to accept a building that doesn't meet all the conditions yet

said Carol Patterson, D-2nd Ward.

Another proposed addition to the retirement community plan is a park area adjacent to the building. Originally, the National Church Residences group had discussed putting four cottages in that area.

Installing a park in this area will allow neighbors still to have access to open space for all ages.

The cottages were put there for a reason though

said Dale Tampke, D-at large. Lets give it a shot with both the cottages and the park together.

17

Archives

Meghan Nicholson