Cyclones looking to turn Ohio season upside down

The zamboni will resurface the ice as if any regular 7:30 game at Bird Arena was about to be played; however, neither game this weekend will be regular.

This is the biggest series of the year for us so far

coach Dan Morris said. We have Iowa State and Illinois at home this year. We need to take advantage of having them in our barn. We need to follow through.

The Iowa State Cyclones will face off against the Bobcats tonight and on Saturday night.

Both the Bobcats, currently ranked third in the American Colligate Hockey Association, and the Cyclones, ranked seventh, are undefeated in Central States Collegiate Hockey League play. This is a crucial game for both teams as the CSCHL regular season title is on the line.

The Bobcats are preparing hard for this weekend as the intensity at practice has been taken to another level.

Practices have changed Morris said. We have to get these guys more focused and on edge.

It is a team goal to win the CSCHL regular season title, and Morris has said all year that Iowa State is their main competition for the title. He said that they need to win every week to keep pace with the Cyclones.

So far this season, Ohio captain Jordan Levy has been happy with the wins but not completely happy with his team's performance.

Yeah we're winning

but I wouldn't say I'm satisfied

Levy said. I'm never satisfied. We have to have a mentality to never be satisfied

so we aren't sitting back.

Levy said all of the veterans on the team have been stepping up to help the newer guys understand how important this series is.

It's very important

Levy said. Iowa State has always been a good team and they are in our league

so when tournament time comes

we need that sense of we already beat these guys.

Last October, the Bobcats (5-1, 4-0 CSCHL) went to Iowa State (8-0, 6-0 CSCHL) and swept the series with two 5-3 wins.

This is a rivalry game

Levy said. It's always important.

At the beginning of the year, no one would expect to see anyone other than Ryan Baksh in goal. However, two weeks ago, during the second win over Eastern Michigan, freshman Paul Marshall came in to save the day and stop Eastern Michigan's rally. Marshall's performance was so stellar that it earned him a start between the pipes last weekend against Kent State.

Unless something happens

Ryan will be starting this weekend