Dorms 'treat' children

Witches, princesses and skeletons are just a few of the creatures you might see wandering around the dorms early next week. Ohio University will once again welcome local children to three nights of Halloween fun on campus.

A joint effort of the Residence Hall Leadership Advisory Council and the Transportation Review Advisory Council has brought Athens children to campus for trick-or-treating for about five years, according to Jim Sand, assistant green director for East Green.

The number of participants varies from year to year, but approximately 200 to 400 children come to East Green for the event, Sand said.

East, West and South greens will alternate hosting the children from 6 to 8 p.m. Sunday through Tuesday.

Residence halls choose to participate through a hall council decision. Each hall is allowed to structure the event how they want. For example, some choose to have a main event in the lobby while others allow the children to explore the building, knocking on individual doors.

The event originated as small Halloween festivities in individual residence halls.

Mainly

it started with residence hall students wanting to offer a fun event for local children - now it is kind of a tradition Sand said.

Fliers advertising the event are sent out to the district's schools for children to take home to their parents. Ads also have been placed in local newspapers in the past.

Several parking lots are open to the public after 5 p.m., which are used by participating families. Parents usually accompany their children, which is preferred, but drop-offs do occur, Sand said. Parents usually prefer lobby events, he added.

-Laura Yates

17

Archives

Laura Yates