Drug testing rare in schools

Student drug testing programs such as those currently in place at Alexander High School are relatively uncommon despite available federal funding.

Only 13 percent of U.S. high schools had drug testing policies in 2003, according to Student Drug Testing Background & Research Findings

a study by Linn Goldberg of Oregon Health & Science University. Of those policies, 76 percent used the random testing method adopted by Alexander.

(Drug testing is) very unusual mostly because of cost said Scott Ebright, a spokesman for the Ohio School Board Association. There aren't that many districts around the state that are doing it.

The Ohio School Board Association doesn't have a position on drug testing but supports local boards of education if they think that implementing student drug testing is appropriate, Ebright said.

The program at Alexander Local Schools costs $25,000 a year, an amount covered by the school district. A program formerly in place at Dublin City Schools in Columbus had cost $75,000 a year.

Dublin was one of the first schools in Ohio to use random drug testing, and it was sued by the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio in 2001. The case was never taken to trial because a Supreme Court decision was handed down legalizing drug testing, but the school board decided not to renew the program.

Dublin has since taken the money allocated for drug testing and used it to hire a third substance abuse counselor, said Dick Casper, executive director of administrative services at Dublin City School District.

We believe if (the program) comes back

it will be part of a bigger

more comprehensive substance abuse program

he said.

Drug testing is also in place at Olentangy High School in Columbus.

Federal funding for drug testing is available from the Department of Education. Blanchester Local School District in southwestern Ohio is one of 55 school districts in the country and the only school district in the state, to receive the grant this year.

The district will receive about $200,000 a year for three years that will be used to perform random drug testing for about 240 student-athletes in seventh through 12th grade. The money will allow the district to perform more comprehensive drug tests, including testing for steroid use, which is an extra $85 per test.

The school district applied for the grant in August and was informed a few weeks ago that it was chosen as a recipient.

Basically

you have to show you have a need for such a program

you have a plan to implement the program

and you need to be able to evaluate the plan

said Ron Duncan, Blanchester High School athletic director.

He said that the school district would have covered the cost if they did not receive the grant.

Drug usage among the youth is a societal problem

Duncan said. We don't feel that our high school and middle school kids are anymore into drugs than any other community but certainly not any less.