Jock tunes enhance spectator experience

Ask anyone you like; chances are they will remember the first CD or tape they bought way back when.

Though many of you might think it is a terrible mistake, I'm going to put myself out there and admit the first CD I ever owned was Jock Rock: Volume I.

Notice that I said owned, not bought - my parents purchased it for me in addition to a CD player for Christmas.

That's right, while you were listening to Nirvana, exploring Def Leppard and playing your Ace of Base CD for the hundredth time, I was rocking out to The Ramones' Blitzkrieg Bop and the SportsCenter theme song.

Sadly, since it was the only CD I owned for a period of a couple weeks, I played it to death, and well, I became a bit addicted.

Next came Jock Rock: Volume II, naturally, and it was not long before Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs could no longer tide me over with Wooly Bully. I wanted more.

A couple of Jock Jams and one last Jock Rock CD later, I came to the conclusion that not only was I obsessed with clich+

Part II has made you yell, HEY! just a few times in your life. Especially you Ohio club hockey fans who have taken the liberty of adding a few choice lyrics of your own to Mr. Glitter's limited vocabulary.

One-hit wonders make it big in the sports world too. Chumbawamba still finds a way to annoy us with Tubthumping despite having not been seen in public in anyone's recent memory.

So next time you are at any kind of sporting event, and you hear some music, even if it's just the organ player rocking out - a job I would kill to have - I want you to stand up and try to get people into it.

Chances are someone in your near vicinity is just dying to stand up and belt out a few verses of Steam's Na Na Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye) with you.

- Mark Shugar is a junior journalism major and sports editor for The Post who thinks House of Pain's Jump Around is the best sports song of all time. Send him an e-mail at ms314803@ohiou.edu. 17

Archives

Mark Shugar