McDavis asks bars not to open before parade

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis is meeting with local bar owners, requesting they keep their doors closed before the Homecoming parade begins Saturday, he said in a press conference yesterday.

The request is part of the administration's efforts to curb high-risk drinking among students. The bars traditionally open Saturday at 8 a.m. for the parade, but McDavis said he will ask owners to delay opening until later in the afternoon.

We want Homecoming to be a positive

memorable event McDavis said. We want to ensure that students and visitors do not threaten life or property or taint the reputation of our university. I will ask the tavern owners to keep their bars closed early in the morning before the parade.

At the same press conference, McDavis announced the Verizon Foundation will offer a $30,000 gift to OU's Appalachia READS foundation on Friday.

Verizon Ohio President Todd Colquitt will present the gift at noon in Baker Center. It is the Verizon Foundation's third donation to Appalachia READS, which is based in OU's College of Communication and serves 29 counties in Southeast Ohio.

Appalachia READS increases public awareness concerning literacy issues and advocates on behalf of literacy issues at the local state and federal level

McDavis said. This gift will help to make services more effective and efficient

thereby better enabling those needing the services and those wishing to volunteer.

McDavis also announced the beginning of a new political communications survey conducted by OU students.

Emphasis on research is key to OU becoming a nationally prominent university

he said. This opportunity allows undergraduate students in the political communications certificate program to gain practical experience and to gauge the views of the voting public.

Between 6 and 9 p.m. from Oct. 23 to 27 and Oct. 30 to Nov. 2, more than 40 OU students will telephone 800 Ohio residents for a survey of election-related issues. The survey is especially relevant because of Ohio's status as a key battleground state, McDavis said.

The survey will help pundits better understand the political landscape (of Ohio) and provide a more accurate perspective

McDavis said. The participants will be asked what issues are most important to them

if they feel their vote counts and whether they would support a female governor or president.

17

Archives