Ohio falls to 2-4 against Chippewas

Despite a highly touted running game, it was Central Michigan quarterback Kent Smith who led the Chippewas to victory against Ohio during Saturday's contest.

Smith went 15-24 for 228 yards, including two touchdowns, en route to a 37-10 Central Michigan (4-3, 3-1) win over Ohio (2-4, 1-2).

Both teams came out firing, but it was Smith and Central Michigan who set the pace for the game.

On the first play from scrimmage Smith threw a 50-yard completion down to the Ohio 30-yard line. On the next play running back Ontario Sneed rushed for 20 more. Two plays later Smith completed a 10-yard touchdown pass for a 7-0 Central Michigan lead.

However, Ohio mounted its own scoring drive on the ensuing series. Ohio managed to reach its own 47-yard line on rushes by running back Kalvin McRae and quarterback Austen Everson, but it was a Central Michigan personal foul penalty that set up Ohio's score. After the penalty was assessed, Everson connected with receiver Scott Mayle for a 38-yard touchdown pass to tie the score.

The Bobcats were poised to take the lead at the beginning of the second quarter, but were unable to convert.

Ohio mounted an impressive drive down to the Central Michigan three-yard line, but a false start penalty on fourth-and-one pushed the Bobcats five yards back. The penalty forced punter-turned-kicker Matthew Miller to attempt his first career field goal attempt. However, Miller's attempt, a 24-yard field goal attempt, sailed wide right.

The Ohio defense picked up once again and forced a three-and-out. True freshman quarterback Brandon Jones entered the game on the Bobcats' next series for his first college appearance.

Jones completed a three-yard pass to McRae, but a holding penalty backed Ohio up. On second down Jones threw an incomplete pass to Mayle and on third down was sacked for a seven-yard loss, fumbling the ball in the process. However, the ball was recovered by Ohio.

After Ohio was forced to punt Central Michigan quickly scored on two plays - a 41-yard halfback option pass from wide receiver Justin Harper went down to the Ohio 3-yard line. On the next play Sneed ran in for the score and a 14-7 Chippewa lead.

Ohio could not mount any successful offensive drives to combat the Central Michigan scoring. Central added a field goal and another touchdown on a 78-yard punt return by Damien Linson with 1:03 remaining in the half for a 23-7 lead.

Ohio's offense continued to falter in the second half, unable to put more than a field goal on the board while Central added two more touchdowns for a final of 37-10.

- Nick Brockman

17 Archives

Nick Brockman