Ohio hopes for tournament play

Do not count the Ohio soccer team out of postseason play just yet.

Despite a six-game losing streak and a 1-7 record against Mid-American Conference teams, there is still an opportunity for the last-place Bobcats to sneak into the tournament with the final playoff seed.

Forward Maggie Rojas-Alford said the team's hopes for making the tournament have not gone away.

We're still looking to win games and get into the tournament

and we feel it can be done she said. We just have to worry about what we do on the field and not worry about what anyone else does.

To make the eight-team tournament, the Bobcats must win their final three games and get a lot of help from a few of their MAC counterparts. Even if Ohio wins out, in order to snag the final seed, they would need Kent State and Northern Illinois to go winless, and Buffalo to also go winless except when they play Kent State next Friday.

Sweeper Crystal Reed said she will not be scoreboard watching this weekend.

We're going to just see what we can do. We're going to take care of our business and hopefully things will go our way. Reed said.

The Bobcats are coming off one of their tougher weekends of the year in which they dropped two pivotal home matchups against Ball State and Miami.

Even with the tough losses, Rojas-Alford said the team feels as confident as it did at the beginning of the season.

Our morale is still high

she said. We're still upbeat

and we just want to come out for these last three games and play as hard as we came out for the first three.

The 'Cats will be looking for a boost from their co-captain, Reed. The senior has been battling a back injury which has kept her sidelined at times over the past few weeks.

She's irreplaceable

coach Stacy Strauss said of Reed. When she can play and move around a bit she's just so effective for us at clearing the ball out. Her composure and communication really bring us to another level.

Reed said she will play through the pain no matter what.

I'm just going to take it day by day

Reed said. It hurts

but I want to finish strong. I just have to keep pushing through it.

Ohio begins its win or go home part of the schedule 3 p.m. today at Kent State. The Bobcats will then be back in action 1 p.m. Sunday at Buffalo.

17

Archives