Ohio teams look ahead to fall finales

The Ohio soccer team has been doing some rearranging on the field in the past week.

With one goalie withdrawing from the university and another injured over the weekend, coach Stacy Strauss has now placed former midfielder Katie Overmann between the pipes.

It's pretty tough to keep up with our team

Strauss said. It's a mess.

Prior to the last two games, the starting goalkeeper for the team was Melissa Parra. Parra has since left school for what Strauss called personal reasons.

The vacancy then was filled by Kieniele King. While warming up for the game Sunday, King aggravated a previous injury, and sustained a muscle pull in the hip.

Though there has not been a final diagnosis, Strauss said King is probably out for the season.

Katie Overmann guarded the net for the Bobcats on Sunday at Toledo. Strauss was pleased at how the red-shirt freshman performed.

Given the limited amount of time she's had to train and play in that position we couldn't have asked for more she said.

Overmann praised the team's defense and organization for helping her get through her first time as goalkeeper. She said she was happy to help out her team when they needed someone to step up.

I'm really open to learning and trying new things

she said.

Without an experienced goalkeeper, Strauss said it is hard to stay in the close games, but is still confident they can sneak up on some teams and make it into the tournament.

It's been a challenge to be consistent

she said.

Overmann is looking forward to growing into a more dependable player.

Only with time will I get better

she said.

Volleyball rises in the rankings

The Ohio volleyball team moved up one spot to No. 23 this week in the CSTV/AVCA Top 25 Poll. This is the highest they have been ranked in the history of the program.

Coach Geoff Carlston said that while it is nice to be noticed, the team's work ethic and goals are still the same.

The team's main objective is to be successful in the conference and in the NCAA tournament. However, Carlston is not going to get ahead of himself.

We focus a lot on process goals

he said.

While Carlston is pleased his team received more points in the poll, he said it is impractical to consider being placed next to the likes of No. 1 Nebraska.

It's too unrealistic to think about never losing

he said.

Carlston said that the high poll rankings are good publicity for the university and for recruiting.

We just use it as a billboard

he said.

Freshman garners conference award

Rookie linebacker Jordan Meyers was named the Mid-American Conference East Division Special Teams Player of the Week. Against Bowling Green this past weekend, Meyers had a 15-yard touchdown in the second quarter coming off a blocked punt. This was his first time scoring for the Bobcats. He also had a fumble recovery on the opening kickoff and one tackle.

17