Ohio to compete in last meet before MAC championships

This weekend will be the final meet for the Ohio cross country teams to make improvements in a competition setting before the conference championships.

The Bobcats will be competing at the NCAA Pre-Nationals meet tomorrow in Terre Haute, Ind.

Austin Schiele said that the men's team is confident with the way they have performed so far this season, but would like to use this meet as a final tune-up before the conference championships.

I think if we can have another good showing here

I think that's really going to keep us on the roll we're on he said. I think one more good race one more tune-up before the Mid-American Conference Championships will help our confidence.

Rachel Beakas said she would use this meet to work on her pacing and racing technique.

We usually go out on a good pace

and our second mile is usually good

so I really want to work on my third mile

she said.

Coach Clay Calkins said both the men's and women's teams are very confident right now and are running well. It's going to be a good meet to see where everyone's fitness levels are at

he said. I know the team is excited to go.

The women will run a 6K at this meet, instead of the usual 5K race they have run up to this point in the season.

Beakas said she is nervous about running in her first longer race.

I'm just hoping to stay with the older girls

she said. I'll probably use them to pace like I always do. We're always running in a good pack

so I hope to stay with them.

Schiele, who has competed on the course in Terre Haute before, said he is expecting to run a best time at the meet.

I think I'm in pretty good shape

he said. I feel like I'm getting stronger every week

so I'm expecting a good