Red light cameras removal discussed

Red light cameras might be banned at Ohio's intersections soon, if a bill in committee passes the Ohio Senate.

The majority of the state's legislature is against such cameras, said Rep. Jimmy Stewart, R-Athens. The cameras raise many issues, including that of privacy, he said.

At the end of the day

for me it just seems a lot like Big Brother he said.

The cameras also do not give police officers a chance to stop motorists and check for proof of insurance, but a police officer who pulls over a motorist can. Also, the cameras do not indicate who is driving the car at the time of the infraction. A driver who legally owns a car could be ticketed for an infraction they did not commit.

The cameras not only invade privacy but change criminal law, said Jeff Gamso, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Ohio. A car caught by these red light cameras changes criminal law, he said. If caught, the owner of the car has to prove their innocence as opposed to the state proving their guilt.

It's criminal law without the protection of criminal law

Gamso said.

When red light cameras are installed at an intersection, there are less side-impact crashes but more rear-impact crashes, Gamso said citing a report from the Legislative Service Commission.

Redflex Traffic Systems, a company based in Australia, makes the cameras found around Ohio, spokesperson Jay Heiler said.

These cameras are not paid for by the city they are installed in, Heiler said. Instead, a percentage of the revenue from the tickets is given to the company. This amount varies from city to city, Heiler said.

Despite the possibility of a ban, Columbus City Council approved the cameras for use in Columbus and is in the process of installing them in the city. The Columbus Police recommended certain intersections for the cameras, Council spokesperson Wyatt Kingseed said.

The City Council took recommendations from the Columbus Police that were based on the amount of red light tickets as opposed to the number of accidents, Kingseed said.

The Council wanted to improve safety for motorists in the city of Columbus, Kingseed said.

The city isn't going to be moved by the state. The city of Columbus is going to take care of its citizens and their safety

Kingseed said.

17

Archives

Chris Yonker and Cait Jacob