Ultimate tournament brings colleges to Athens

Twirling through the cool, crisp October air like it was weightless, the Frisbee was majestic. The full, layout catch by the pimp with the green suit, big hat and cane was even more breathtaking.

Teams from Columbus, Dennison, Eastern Michigan, John Carroll, Kent State, Muskingum, Ohio, Ohio State and Wooster were all at the driving range on West State Street on Saturday for the annual Ohio Halloween Ultimate Tournament.

The heart and soul of the Eastern Michigan Hellfish, Brian Pillsbury Lenze, was sporting a lime green suit, gold-rimmed sunglasses and a cane, and had words of encouragement for his team.

Hooked on phonics

man. Read the disc Lenze said from the sidelines during Eastern Michigan's win over the Columbus club team, the Roach Clippers.

Lenze, who traded in his pimp costume for a beer keg costume later that night, was not necessarily the best dressed on his team for the tournament. His teammate, Chris Walok, was cult movie character Napoleon Dynamite. I don't go to Eastern Michigan Walok said. Everyone wanted me on their team because I'm pretty good with a Frisbee and a bow stick.

According to the Ohio men's captain, Tall John Harmon, the best-dressed team at the tournament was the Wooster girl's team.

I like Catholic school girls

Harmon said.

The Wooster girls were flattered by Harmon's comments. Praise the Lord

Wooster captains Emily Hilty and Amy Wadsworth said. Harmon's team's theme was Joe Dirt

and they came equipped with flannel and mullets.

We decided on our theme because we are all central-Ohio boys

Harmon said. That's where (Joe Dirts) are born.

For most, the annual tournament is a reason to come to Athens for the renowned Halloween festivities. There has been some recent debate as to whether Ohio or Kent State has the best Halloween. The Kent State men's ultimate team captain, Brian Reid, has been to both campuses on Halloween.

Kent is second without a doubt

Reid said. I'm trying my hardest to find somewhere to stay tonight

so I don't have to go back.

The Ohio State girl's team also went with a religious theme - Noah's Ark. The Ohio girl's team dressed like miniature troll dolls, crazy hair and all.

Although most of the players were not strangers to the tournament and other Ohio Halloween festivities, Luke Robinson of the Columbus Roach Clippers was experiencing Athens for the first time.

I broke my collarbone a couple weeks ago

so I can't play

Robinson said. I wasn't going to miss Halloween in Athens.