Wear it well wherever you go

I am sure you all have experienced that nervous, giggly feeling of anticipation before attending an exciting event, like tea with Johnny Depp or perhaps a fabulous shindig (at Johnny Depp's French villa). Those particular fantasies might be unique to yours truly, but you get the gist.

Unfortunately, I am sure you also know what it is like when that feeling is destroyed by the horrific realization that you have absolutely nothing to wear to this earth-shattering event.

This is by no means an understatement. Sometimes, a full closet actually is devoid of anything appropriate for certain social outings. And how do you even figure out what you should wear to those events anyway?

In terms of professional interviews or social organizations, an occasion that calls for professional dress is different from one that requires formal dress. This might sound obvious, but many people seem to confuse the two. Professional dress refers to outfits appropriate for the office, but this doesn't mean sacrificing your sense of style.

To avoid looking like my Aunt Gerta the bank teller, stick to a skirt of an appropriate length or solid-colored dress pants. A blouse is a great choice by itself, but if you are wearing a blazer, pair it with a camisole instead. The blouse under the blazer will just make you look frumpy. You do not want to look trendy if you are trying to impress an interviewer, but you do not want to look like an elderly woman either.

Formal wear, on the other hand, usually calls for a skirt or dress. Yes ladies, it is time for girls to be girls. Unless you are attending a high school dance, try to avoid the floor-length stuff - cocktail dresses or skirts that are not obscenely short are perfect.

As silly as it might sound, your hair also should be a concern. When you are trying to impress someone, you should look capable and attractive. A friend of mine in a sorority told me the tale of a girl who came to a formal event wearing two French braids. Yikes.

As this same friend said, a formal event calls for something you could wear to a bar, to visit with your grandmother or to church.

As college students, however, we are probably more concerned about what to wear on weekend evenings out at our lovely No. 2 party school. Ditch the black pants and dresses, as chances are you are not trying to give your resume to the bartender or that guy by the keg.

My personal favorite outfit for a night out is a simple combination of jeans, a nice top and heels. Jeans are more comfortable than skirts and are easily dressed up with the appropriate top and accessories. Heels are my preference, but flip-flops are appropriate as well.

When dressing for class, just about anything goes. I always dress up for class, but I do not begrudge anyone in an OU hoodie. Two hours in Bentley Hall is not exactly the social event of the season.

- Erin Smith is known to buy accessories and then find outfits to go with them. Send her an e-mail about her crazy shopping habits at es155503@ohiou.edu.

17 Archives

Erin Smith