Bobcats come up short in MAC tournament

Ohio co-captain Lindsay Rothenberger had plenty to be happy about this past weekend after being named Mid-American Conference Player of the Year.

Unfortunately for Rothenberger, her team did not fare so well, falling in the semifinals of the MAC tournament to rival Miami in a heartbreaking 1-0 overtime loss.

It was definitely bittersweet. I think individual awards are great

but they're not everything Rothenberger said. Walking away with a MAC championship as a team would have been really great.

Although the Bobcats were eyeing the MAC championship all season, their efforts in the semifinal were not quite enough. The game itself was a defensive struggle as the two teams found themselves scoreless after 70 minutes of play.

However, Miami broke up the tie seven minutes into overtime as freshman Teja Kammler scored on a two-on-one breakaway to win the game for the RedHawks, who went on to fall in the finals 3-1 to host Central Michigan.

Ohio had a few chances to put the game away in regulation as well as in the extra frame, but for whatever reason the Bobcats could not seem to finish.

We played with them the entire game and into overtime we had our opportunities we just didn't capitalize

forward Torrie Albini said. We didn't have many opportunities

but the ones we had we didn't take full advantage of.

While Albini was also upset with the outcome for her team, she too had a bright side to the weekend, joining Rothenberger on the All-MAC First Team. Ohio had two other All-MAC selections as junior Amanda Arnold was named to the All-MAC Second Team for the second consecutive year and true freshman Estienne Coetzee also was named to the All-MAC Second Team.

Unfortunately for Ohio, all the personal accolades did not translate into a win in the MAC tournament. Despite the loss, the overall season has been a decent one, as the Bobcats experienced both highs and lows.

When thinking about the season two things come to mind. One is development. I think we really learned a lot this year as a team. I really think as a team we're ten times better than we were at the beginning of the season

coach Neil Macmillan said. The other thing is we underachieved. I think the returning team is on the same page as me and we just need to get at it again.

17

Archives

Joe Rudemiller

200511072585midsize.jpg