Bobcats prepare with first exhibition game

Bobcat basketball is back with the players and coaches hoping to be in business come March, admiring another Mid-American Conference title as they lace up their dancing shoes for the second-straight year.

But - first thing's first.

The 'Cats need to start somewhere. This year it's at 4 p.m. on Saturday in The Convo in exhibition against Mercyhurst.

Sophomore guard Jeremy Fears is just excited to run up and down the court with competition he does not know.

We have been practicing year-round so you know we are kind of tired of playing against each other

Fears said. It's kind of like a rally to get us pumped for the season.

The team, projected by the experts to win the MAC this year, believes those experts are onto something. Confidence is not a problem; overconfidence may be.

We don't want to come out too overconfident but you know we have been playing together a lot and guys at this point in time are hungry and want that respect

Fears said. We just need guys to come out and want it and play hard and I think we will be alright and everything will take care of itself.

As far as talent and personnel go, Fears said this year's version of the Bobcats is more than prepared to make another title run.

Coach Tim O'Shea is also excited about this year's squad and the first scrimmage, but said they have been playing competitively over the summer so it will not be too new for them.

We played six games in the countries of Holland and Belgium

O'Shea said. We played professional teams with anything from guys who have just graduated from U.S. colleges to guys that graduated from a U.S. college 10 to 12 years ago.