Concert to aid PETA agenda

On Saturday night, The Wire, 21 Kern St., will host The Most Brutal Animal Rights Show

a benefit concert for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Susie Black, who conceived the idea for the benefit concert, said he hopes The Wire can raise money and awareness for animal abuse.

I believe that there is cruelty within the food industry and I hope our concert raises awareness without being preachy he said.

Scheduled to play the four-hour concert are nine local bands, with performances covering a diverse group of musical genres from punk, metal and classic rock to jazz, pop and country.

A lot of the bands are a part of the cause or sympathize with it Black said.

Included in the lineup for the evening are Unrest Depressants, 4th Plague, Mental Pain, Bram Riddlebarger, Scott Free and the Getaways, Go Faster Stripes, New Clear Future, Exocell and Overated.

As a whole

The Wire has a mixed political opinion

but I hope the Athens community members can act compassionately with what they buy and consume even beyond animal rights issues

said Nate Ebert, coordinator of the event and a volunteer at The Wire.

The Wire is a volunteer-run, community-funded organization that offers awareness on progressive issues.

We've started a weekly vegan cooking workshop and offer informative books for community use

Ebert said.

Alicia Miklos, an Ohio University junior, became a vegetarian six months ago after she attended the Global Three conference in Cincinnati and saw a PETA video on animal cruelty.

People don't realize how cruel factory farming is until they watch a video on it

she said. I made a choice for health reasons but animal rights violations changed my mind.

OU sophomore Annie Flanagan, a vegan, said she hopes the concert brings to light the cruelty inflicted upon animals. Society hides animal suffering and how cruel their conditions are

Flanagan said. They can suffer and it's wrong and immoral.

17