Dance majors display talent, creativity at annual concert

The senior students of the Ohio University School of Dance presented a variety of original works last night at the annual fall Senior Dance Concert.

The concert opened with dancers suspended from the ceiling and consisted of seven pieces, ranging from a saucy Spanish number to an audience-involved number exploring the interpretation of art. Senior dance majors Natalie Benjamin, Jennifer Rusynyk, Kelly Moss Southall and Jessica Terrell choreographed the pieces and auditioned other dance students to showcase their work.

The concert is a good representation of what the school of dance has to offer, said Mickie Geller, professor in the School of Dance and artistic director for the show.

We try to have the students discover their own choreographic voices

she said.

Rusynyk choreographed two pieces for the concert, Something Went and Home-Body 11.05.

Something Went is a reconstruction of a piece she originally choreographed in the spring of 2004. Rusynyk said the piece has no real meaning; she wants the audience to read into it as they see fit.

Rusynyk's second piece, Home-Body 11.05 is an attempt at breaking down the separation between performers and audience, she said. She blurs the lines between performer and audience member with an end goal of creating an experience that the performers and audience share.

Many students from non-major dance and theater classes enjoyed the performance, including junior Jamie Beals, who attended her first School of Dance concert. She wasn't sure what to expect, but her favorite piece was the Spanish number, Third Time's a Charm she said.

Terrell, who choreographed the piece, said it acquired its name because it was changed three times due to a loss of dancers. Terrell also choreographed the piece then there were three

a piece performed last year and featured as a video performance in this year's show.

The School of Dance will hold four more concerts this year: one in the winter and three in the spring. The OU School of Dance Senior Dance Concert is at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. today and Saturday at the Shirley Wimmer Dance Theater. Tickets are $6.

17

Archives

Caitlin Price

200511042852midsize.jpg

Kelly Moss Southall performs his piece titled Letters to a New Sappho during yesterday's Ohio University's School of Dance Senior Dance Concert. Produced and directed by the School of Dance's seniors, the concert is an opportunity for the students to sh