Democrats grab all at-large seats

The democrats swept last night's at-large council elections, nearly doubling the vote totals of their Republican and Independent counterparts.

Democrats Carol Patterson, Amy Flowers and Jim Sands all won the council at-large positions, beating out Matthew Bernosky and Elahu Gosney by large margins.

Though he received the most votes of any candidate, incumbent Sands said he was still nervous before the election.

There is never a time when you don't have nerves in a contested election

he said.

One of the main topics the newly elected council members said they plan to discuss this January, when the new council takes over, is the comprehensive plan - a guide for development in Athens.

This plan is a culmination of many people in the city Sands said. It will be a large part of discussion over the next two years along with development in the city.

Newly elected councilwoman Flowers said that along with working on the comprehensive plan, her goals include working to end domestic violence in Athens and adding more educational awareness on voting.

It is so sad that so many young people were robbed their voice in the elections because they didn't know Flowers said.

Flowers, 19, said she was not concerned with being the youngest elected official in Ohio because she is used to being the youngest

and knows how to adapt now.

Carol Patterson, D-2nd Ward who will move to an at-large position, said she is looking forward to making Athens a better place to live. She said she plans to make cooperative efforts

find priorities and work with the university to make it all work.

Although he was not elected, Gosney said he will continue to work to raise the minimum wage in Athens and he hopes council will listen to the progressive voice in Athens and realize how strong it is.

This is Bernosky's first time running for a political office, and although he did not win, he said it was a good experience and he might run for a different position in another city.

I feel pretty good when there's only 344 Republicans in Athens and I got so many votes

Bernosky said. This means that I've leaned some people this way.

Flowers, Sands and Patterson will join democrats council President Bill Bias, Paul Wiehl from the 1st Ward, Bojinka Bishop from the 2nd Ward, Nancy Bain from the 3rd Ward and Deborah Phillips from the 4th Ward on city council in January.

-Catie Coleman, Lauren Lipaj, Rebecca Black and Anthony Paolo contributed to this article

17

Archives

Meghan Nicholson

20051109207midsize.jpg