Opposing viewpoints not welcome in Athens

I am writing to express myself about the Nov. 2 rally against the war in Iraq and President Bush.

I thought nothing of choosing to attend a predominately liberal college.

Growing up in a small town where people are either liberal or conservative, I had no idea really how much power was in the word liberal here at OU.

I feel as if I am a minority, an outcast, and unable to speak for what I believe because I will be overshadowed by the vast array of people screaming down my throat, telling me that Bush is the devil!

As far as the war goes, it's not like anyone ever wants his or her country to be in war. It'd be ridiculous to think that way.

But as our nation's leader, President Bush makes decisions with his Cabinet to help this country and the whole world for that matter.

My opinion is when signing up for the Armed Forces, the Navy, the Air Force, etc., one should be prepared and willing to sacrifice themselves and do whatever is needed to support our country.

That option is totally one's own to make. They would obviously know ahead of time what they are getting into and the position they could find themselves in the future.

President Bush never imposed a draft on this country, which would make the situation a whole different story. But the reality of it is President Bush is our nation's leader for the next three years. He has done everything in his power to make the right decisions at the right times, so why not live with it?

No president has had a perfect presidency, and whether or not you think he is or not, President Bush is human - and humans tend to make mistakes. The problems would still be there regardless of who was in the hot seat right now.

It's fine that people here at OU are passionate about their politics, as am I, but I feel as if I should be able to express myself the way others expressed themselves today. Dressing up in trench coats and banging on drums, however, is just a little too crazy for me. Sure, it's freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom to carry on like lunatics while expressing your hatred for our nation's leader. As far as I'm concerned, I know I live in the best nation in the world, and I know the president won't always be a Republican. But I do know that if he is trying and attempting to make our country better, then he has my respect.

We aren't always going to get our way; that's just how the cookie crumbles.

- Amy Washburn is a freshman undecided major. Send her an e-mail at aw342205@ohiou.edu.

17 Archives

Letter to the Editor