Plan aims to retain grad students

Vision Ohio, Ohio University's comprehensive strategic plan for the future, offers extensive growing opportunities for OU graduate students, said Dr. Jack Bantle, vice president for research, at last night's Graduate Student Senate meeting.

I just can't imagine a part of Vision Ohio that does not involve graduate students

Bantle said. We'll have more (graduate students) a better quality and more opportunities to do better research as part of your degree program he said.

Bantle also outlined Vision Ohio's goal of securing $100 million in external research funds, up from this year's $56 million.

This money helps us maintain prominence

he said. An area of Vision Ohio implementation Bantle also described included a two-year process for hiring new faculty.

Bantle said once new faculty are hired, it will still take five years before he or she becomes productive and wins grants, but some success has already come out of 2005.

Both awards and the number of proposals going out the door is increasing

Bantle said. This is good if we're going to achieve Vision Ohio.

Retaining graduate students into the doctoral program is a potential hurdle for Vision Ohio, said Jeff Dickman, senator for Engineering. A credit hour limitation for master's students, though required by the state and the university, can discourage many master's students from the doctoral program, he said.

Graduate Student Senate also unanimously passed resolutions urging Ohio University to publicly support issues 2, 4 and 5.

While Issue 5 would remove partisan officials from the administration of state elections and create a bi-partisan Board of Supervisors, it does not explicitly state what duties would be removed from the Secretary of State and given to the board, said Katie Nutter, women's affairs commissioner.

17

Archives

Erik Skoog