Relay for Life returns for 4th year

The race to raise money for the American Cancer Society kicks off tonight for Ohio University's Relay for Life chapter.

The Relay for Life kickoff event, today at 6 p.m. in Baker Ballroom, is open to everyone, and participants will hear from a cancer survivor and have an opportunity to register a Relay team, said Wendy Rogers, Relay for Life adviser.

It's just an event to kind of inform people about what Relay is and what we're doing here at OU

said Lauren Smith, OU Relay for Life chair and a co-founder of the OU chapter.

Relay for Life is a fund-raising program that raises money for the American Cancer Society. Individual teams raise money various ways during the year up to the event, then total their funds and celebrate with an 18-hour walk.

It's a fun event where people can get out to go and do something for a good cause Smith said.

This year's Relay for Life event will be May 19 and 20.

We have yet to find a location that we can use Smith said. We've been trying very hard to get it on campus.

This is OU's fourth year of participation, Smith said. OU had about 900 participants last year, she said, and this year it is expecting 1,200.

It's growing exponentially

Smith said.

Last year, OU's Relay for Life raised $78,000 and was the No. 1 collegiate Relay team in Ohio, Smith said. This year's goal is $85,000.

Smith said she has been active with Relay for eight years because her father is a lung cancer survivor.

I'm passionate about it

Smith said.

Marty Bayha, a breast cancer survivor and administrative assistant in the Department of Family Medicine at OU's College of Osteopathic Medicine, said she would be talking about early detection of breast cancer.

Early detection can save lives

she said. That's going to be my message tonight.

Bayha also said she will discuss other American Cancer Society programs she participated in, adding that this is the first time she has gotten involved with Relay for Life.

I think it's a great thing to be involved with

she said.

17

Archives

Brittany Hughes