Ridiculous OK in fashion

The most important part of being a stylish woman is embracing one's own fabulousness without taking it too far. Confidence is attractive; snobbery is not. However, it is difficult to feel good about what you're wearing all the time. There obviously aren't any rules about how to feel fabulous every day, but there are a few ways to make it a little easier.

Don't be afraid to wear what you want, even if you look a little silly. That's not to say that you should go completely nuts, but one of my favorite fashion books The Fashionista File claimed that a fashionista is not afraid to look slightly ridiculous. I know that sounds like the kind of bad advice that would make your mother cringe, but let's not forget that most of our moms are probably wearing Christmas sweaters and leggings at this very moment.

If taking risks, like mixing patterns or colors, makes you feel fabulous, do it, despite what anyone else says. We all fall flat on our pretty faces sometimes, but that's part of what makes fashion fun. It's hard to put together a truly heinous outfit, unless it involves a faded sweatshirt with a cartoon character on the front.

Another thing that helps a girl stay fabulous is to plan her wardrobe. I'm not saying you should make a monthly calendar or anything, but it's helpful to figure out what you want to wear the night before or right after getting up in the morning. That way, if your shower runs long, or you run into another complication, all you'll have to do is throw on your pre-chosen outfit and scoot out the door.

If your look is organized, it somehow seems easier to organize the rest of your life. When you look like you know what you're doing, you might magically start to feel that way as well. After all, you already solved the problem of what to wear, and that's the morning's biggest hurdle!

It's also beneficial to keep track of popular fads without selling your soul to the god of fashion trends. Wedge shearling boots might seem like a good idea right now, but in six months would you rather have the boots or the perfect little black dress that will be a classic for years?

By the same token, there is no better time in our lives to buy crazy, trendy clothes. In 10 years, we'll just look silly if we try to wear glittery shrugs and gaucho pants. Wear trendy and classic clothes, but make sure you have a good balance of clothes to wear this year and clothes that will still look great in five years.

Taking risks, planning your outfits and mixing fads with classic clothes are a few ways to look fabulous every day, but it also helps a girl feel fabulous. Remember: If you look good, you will feel good. Feeling attractive is empowering, and it's one of the ways fashion can effect your life. Power suits, miniskirts and jeans aren't just items in our closets; they're vehicles for expressing ourselves. Make sure you look great on the outside, and you'll feel fabulous on the inside as well.

- Erin Smith urges you to avoid getting a euromullet at all costs, despite what you might hear. Send her an e-mail at es155503@ohiou.edu.

17 Archives

Erin Smith