Well-funded literature, art magazine celebrates 50 years of creativity, talent

Aside from fraternities and sororities, not too many student organizations last for 50 years.

But Sphere magazine, an annual literature and art magazine, is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. The magazine provides unique writing and editing opportunities for undergraduate students, said Laura Reams, co-senior editor of the publication.

The magazine is very professional and we do our best to keep it that way

Reams said, noting that the staff is really proud of the magazine.

While other universities have undergraduate literary magazines, Sphere is unique in that it is well funded, said Mark Halliday, adviser for the magazine and an English professor. Students from all backgrounds with an interest in creative writing are urged to submit, Halliday added.

On average, about 75 people submit works to Sphere, said Colin Masters, co-senior editor.

To celebrate the anniversary, the staff is adding a special section of flash fiction - condensed short stories, or short shorts. The staff is looking for 50-word stories, Reams said.

Other categories in the magazine include fiction, non-fiction, art, drama, poetry and the special flash fiction category this year.

Besides the several editors on staff, there are also readers - students outside the editorial board - who read the submissions. The mix helps the editing process, as readers are a good source of an outside opinion Reams said.

While the magazine's purpose has, for the most part, stayed the same, it exemplifies a national trend - an increased interest in creative writing, said Bob Demott, a professor in the English department and a former adviser of Sphere.

The magazine also helps foster student-centered learning, another trend in academia, he added.

The magazine is a great outlet for creativity and a growing sense of talent Demott said.

Not only does the magazine allow students to build a reputation for themselves

but it also gives students good experience in the publishing and editing field, he added.

The magazine receives money through SAC funding, the Honors Tutorial College, the English Department and the College of Arts and Sciences, Masters said. The magazine is looking for more drama submissions. Last year's printing budget amounted to about $4,000, Masters said.

The magazine's deadline is Nov. 7. The editorial board looks for quality writing

Reams said, and length can be a factor. To submit work, go to Ellis Hall 102 or e-mail spheremagazine@hotmail.com.

17

Archives

Janet Nester