Women can balance family, feminism

Gloria Steinem once said A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

That quote is undeniable; a woman does not need a man to complete her life. I'm sure all women are well aware of that fact. Women have reached an era where they have more possibilities in life than just taking care of our husbands and children.

Women are free to vote, be the Chief Executive Officer of company and go where they want, when they want to do so. We supposedly have cast off the shackles of oppression that have held us down for centuries.

But, have we really cast them off completely? Are we truly free now? Women are still subject to scrutiny of their behaviors and actions by men - and other women.

In an age where women have more freedom than ever, we are still tied down. Women live in a damned if you do

damned if you don't world. If you take stand to express your feminism, you are struck down.

We are looked down upon for our feminist beliefs. Often, women endure hardships and ridicule in their quest to remain true to their morals. Today, we refuse to be mindless objects for men. We strive so that the female lawyers, doctors, CEOs and, eventually, the first female president can succeed.

Women who are content to be stay-at-home moms and wives also face scrutiny. In today's world where more women than ever are attending college and gaining positions of power, there are women who choose to marry, stay home or quit work when they have children.

Is there something wrong with getting a college degree and choosing to marry and stay home rather than work? No.

Women are free, and that means being free to climb the corporate ladder or dedicate yourself to your family.

Women often are criticized for not embracing the world that lies before them. Women who leave the workforce or those who are content to not work and instead focus on their family face patronization from others who see them as lesser people for their station in life.

However, today it is quite common for women to blend aspects of the two worlds, the stay-at-home mom and the professional woman.

You can see women who juggle it all: the full time job, kids in school and a working husband. They make it work by succeeding in the boardroom and in the laundry room. It does not have to be one life or the other.

If you want both - a family and a career - doing so is possible. Women don't live in the era portrayed in Mona Lisa Smile anymore. Career vs. family does not have to be an all or nothing decision anymore; if a woman wants the best of both worlds then she can have it.

Being a feminist is about encompassing all that is fabulous about being a woman. Whether it is in the workforce, at home or both, this is the time to take our power to the fullest. Women are at the peak of their freedom; why not use it to their advantage to pursue the lives they want.

There is no shame in being a housewife or anything wrong with being a corporate powerhouse, so long as it fulfills the particular woman's goal in life.

It is the right of women to express themselves and continue to break down the barriers that have been set up for them. How you choose to express your feminism is your decision; so express your feminism with pride while continuing toward the goals you have set for yourself. A career, a family - nothing can stand in your way if you want to succeed.

In the end, just remember the inspirational words of Eleanor Roosevelt. No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Ashley Henry is a sophomore journalism major. Send her an e-mail at ah628704@ohiou.edu. 17

Archives

Ashley Henry