Activities, events fill MLK Jr. Day

For many people, Martin Luther King Jr. Day will cap off another long weekend at Ohio University with a day free from class. But for many more, the day will be punctuated by an array of community-service events and campus-wide fellowship.

For those looking to get involved with activities as a part of the national Day of Service: A Day on and not a Day off

there are a number of ways to help make the dreams of the civil rights leader become a reality:

Love Luggage Pancake Breakfast , Saturday, Jan. 14, United Campus MinistriesIn a unique barter of food for donations, breakfast will be served from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. in an effort to collect donations to fill bags and suitcases for the annual Love Luggage project. Items accepted include toiletries, undergarments, school supplies, books and art supplies.

Walk for the Homeless, Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., First United Methodist ChurchThe walk is sponsored by Good Works to raise awareness funds for rural Ohio's homeless.

Love Luggage service project, Monday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Baker University CenterThe luggage will go to Athens County Children's Services, Milestones and My Sister's Place, benefiting the nearly 200 foster children in Athens County.

MLK Luncheon , Monday, 11:00 a.m., Baker Center Ballroom

The men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. will host its annual semi-casual luncheon, featuring keynote speaker Kathy Humphrey. Tickets for the event are $7 for students and $10 for non-students.

Project Cleanup, Monday, 2 p.m.to 5 p.m., United Campus MinistriesUCM will undergo a facelift, as volunteers will come together to clean, fix and maintain the building.

- Shaylyn Cochran 17

Archives

Shaylyn Cochran