Ohio beats Denison at home

The Ohio men's and women's swimming and diving teams both split the weekend with home wins over Denison on Friday and losses at Ohio State on Saturday.

Friday's meet, the first for the Bobcats in nearly six weeks, went well with an array of first place finishes and personal bests. The Bobcat women beat the previously undefeated Big Red 154 - 85, and the men won 129.5 - 109.5.

Not having a competition for six weeks now

we really didn't know where we were at; we were hoping to have some nice performances and we had great performances and great races across the board Ohio coach Greg Werner said after the meet. It was pretty evident from the first race that they were ready to go.

Jessica Orlov and Ashley Marion paced the women, each winning two events. Orlov won both the three-meter and one-meter diving events, while Marion took the 400 IM and 100 back.

The young talent on the women's team is starting to emerge, as freshman Ali Howell won the 1000 freestyle, and sophomore Lindsey Connor won the 100 freestyle. Connor's win was her first at Ohio.

Also performing well for the Bobcats was freshman Karen Liddy, who swam in the 200 medley-relay, the 100 fly, and the 100 breast, and achieved personal-best performances in all three events.

I was worried because we hadn't had a meet in awhile

but I told myself I didn't work all that time over break for nothing

Liddy said.

As for the men, Donald Jupp led the Bobcats with wins in the 50 free and 100 free. Stephen D'Arrigo and Jason Reutter both won events for Ohio as well. D'Arrigo won the 100 back, and Reutter won the 100 breast with a personal-best time of 59.48.

After the meet, Reutter pointed to the training the team endured over the break as their reason for success. I definitely felt prepared and was really looking forward to this meet to see what I could do

he said.

The meet at Ohio State was not as fruitful for the Bobcats.

Despite two backstroke wins from Emily Wylam, the Bobcat women fell 114 - 180. Wylam's 58.08 in the 100 back and 2:04.76 in the 200 back are both top-three times in the Mid-American Conference this season.

Liddy performed well again, winning the 100 breast with a time of 1:06.55, advancing on her personal-best time and setting the best time for the team in the event this year.

Ohio State's men beat Ohio's by a final score of 143 - 120. The Ohio men struggled early, losing all of the early events. Later in the meet, the Bobcats started to warm up with two wins by sophomore Luke Herlehy in the 500 free and the 400 IM. Jason Reutter, Tyler Post and Thomas Ferrigno all won for the Bobcats as well.

17

Archives

Justin Whelan

200601172918midsize.jpg