Oval Opus comes to Athens with new music from 5th album

Cincinnati-based band Oval Opus encompasses jazz, rock, pop and country on its new, self-titled album and is heading to Athens Saturday to play its fresh material to a loyal Blue Gator audience.

After releasing four albums, sharing the stage with O.A.R. and Jason Mraz, touring across the Midwest and signing with independent record label ON-Entertainment, the members of Oval Opus found their voice and are able to translate who they are in the studio, said lead singer Aaron Patrick in a press release.

The goal of this record was to make it sound as much like us as we could

said bassist Patrick Martin.

Work for the album began two years ago when the group met with New York-based writing team Pop Rox.

The writers and the band had a slam session, where songs were critiqued and approved by up to five writers, and a new track was finished each day.

It was almost like taking a crash course in song writing (or a) seminar from some of the biggest songwriters in New York City Martin said.

Once in the studio, Oval Opus worked with producer Erwin Musper, who has worked with Van Halen, Bon Jovi and Mick Jagger.

Musper wanted each member to make a statement on the record, unlike past producers who focused on making a pop album and perfecting only Patrick's vocals, Martin said.

(Musper) worked individually with each one of us to kind of bring out our personality Martin said.

Although Oval Opus focused on making its latest album more like its live shows - minimizing production tweaks and augmentations - Martin said he still prefers playing live to the studio. He said he likes the interacting with the audience at a show, and sometimes the studio can be unforgiving.

Listening to their first album compared to this album

they've grown so much

and their live show has gotten so much stronger. They're more comfortable on stage

said Oval Opus manager Cari Gebler. Everything in the project has grown so much over the years.

Gebler has been with the band for five years and said that she is drawn to the band because of its ability to attract anyone to its shows. Now the band is attempting to broaden its fan base by employing a street team to help with promotions, Gebler said.

We have fans that have been following us for years

and it's definitely exciting for us to present this new material to them

Gebler said. It's so different

and it kind of sums up where we are right now. But at the same time

we're mainstream enough for a new fan

that has never heard about the band