Possible phone scam sweeps through campus, OUPD reports

The Ohio University Police Department has filed 12 reports in the past week from students who said callers posing as telemarketers asked them for personal information, including Social Security numbers.

The caller begins by confirming personal information and then asks for more information, such as a student's Social Security number and mother's maiden name, OUPD officer John Stabler said.

They read (personal information) back to you

and they sound authentic said Keith Dodge, a resident assistant in Washington Hall. Dodge said five or six students on his floor have been called by phony telemarketers claiming to be from Clout Visa or claiming to offer students a Visa Gold Card.

The callers gave one student a fake account number and password that the student was supposed to be able to verify online at www.clout.com, Dodge said.

If they get enough personal information this person can obtain a credit card in someone else's name

OUPD Lt. Rich Russell said. The person whose name is on a loan or credit card is generally liable, regardless of whether the card was actually obtained and used by someone else, Russell said.

Stabler said the scammers might be using Web sites, such as Facebook or MySpace, to obtain basic personal information, which they use to sound more authentic.

Much of this information also is available in the student directory, Russell said, adding that similar phone scams have occurred in the city and county in the past.

Students on East Green first began reporting the phone calls after police alerted an RA in Washington Hall of the possible scam. The RA then spread the word to other RAs and students on her floor. Nine of the 12 students who reported these calls lived on East Green.

Residence life staff and police are advising to never give out social security numbers over the phone, Dodge said, explaining that an actual credit card company or bank already would have a student's social security number before offering him or her a credit card.

Calls like this might continue on campus, Stabler said, adding that this scam might be the work of a group of students. If callers are asking for personal information, such as social security numbers, the call is more than likely fraudulent

Stabler said. Students can ask the company to send an e-mail or an application to them to reduce the possibility of being scammed, he said.

The best thing that students can do is to refuse to give out information, Russell said.

OUPD is investigating the phone calls and narrowing down a list of suspects.

17

Archives

Elyse Ball