Sports, comedian, pancakes among weekend attractions

Today, fathers of Ohio University students from all over will arrive in Athens for OU's Dads Weekend 2006.

A variety of events are scheduled this weekend, including two sporting events.

At 4 p.m. at the Aquatic Center, OU's men's and women's swimming and diving teams will take on Denison. At 2 p.m. Saturday at The Convo, men's basketball will play Central Michigan. After the game, at 7 p.m., OU's wrestling team will face off against NC State.

Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium will host two events this weekend, the first of which is Woven Harmony, by Robert and Rebecca Bluestone, at 7:30 tonight. The concept behind this performance is to see music as an artist does, weaving sound into fiber, according to the Web site, www.ohiou.edu/familyweekends/dads/.

Actor and comedian Jeff Garlin will perform his standup routine at 8 p.m. Saturday, sponsored by OU's University Program Council. Garlin is a regular character on HBO's Curb Your Enthusiasm and has recently appeared on Fox's Arrested Development. He also appeared in the movie Daddy Day Care

starring Eddie Murphy.

Dads can also attend the Dads Weekend Biennial Jazzfest at 7 p.m. Saturday in Baker University Center. The event is hosted by the Black Student Communication Caucus, Black Student Cultural Programming Board and Young, Black and Talented.

The Al Pacino cult classic, Scarface will be playing at the Athena at midnight Friday and Saturday.

During the entire weekend, OU's Golf and Tennis Center, Aquatic Center, Ping Center and Bird Arena will be open to students and guests for recreation and other events, at a minimal cost to guests.

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, the Center for Community Service will be hosting the first of four pancake breakfasts on campus. This one, at United Campus Ministry, 18 N. College St., is in preparation for the Love Luggage project on Monday.

Sunday, Christ the King University Parish, 75 Stewart St., will host the Newman Community Pancake Breakfast, while Pancakes with Pops will be in Baker Ballroom. Both events are from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and charge admission fees. Hillel, 21 Mill St., will also host a Dads Weekend Brunch from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

For a complete schedule of events, go to www.ohiou.edu/familyweekends/dads/.

-Erin McCarty

17

Archives

Erin McCarty