Squad splits pair with Kent State, loses first game in league play

Two different Bobcat teams showed up this weekend during Ohio's pair of games against Kent State in Bird Arena Friday and Saturday night.

Friday night was an offensive struggle in which Kent State prevailed 1-0. Saturday night was an offensive explosion with the Bobcats coming out on top 9-4.

On Friday night, Ohio got 44 shots-on-goal against Kent goalie Joe Roberts. Roberts, who was suspended during the first semester, needed to be perfect for his team to get a win.

The Ohio loss was the team's first Central States Collegiate Hockey League loss of the season. They were the only undefeated team in the league prior to Friday night.

The Bobcats (25-5-1, 15-1 in CSCHL) accumulated 96 shots-on-goal during the series compared to 27 from Kent (9-17, 3-15 CSCHL).

Both nights we shot the puck a lot

said Ohio coach Dan Morris. (Saturday night) we shot the puck with more of a purpose. (Friday night) we did what we call shoot to shoot. We are a more talented team so we are going to get more shots off but you have to give credit to their goalie.

The game's lone goal on Friday came off the stick of Kent's Brett Kendig midway through the third period.

Roberts kept the first 12 pucks slapped at him out of the goal on Saturday night. He had 56 consecutive saves and kept Ohio scoreless for the first 68 minutes of the series.

Finally, Ohio forward Brandon Hanley knocked the puck past Roberts to finally get the 'Cats on the scoreboard.

(Saturday night) we were pretty sore and beat up said Kent coach Curtis Carr. (Friday's win) took a lot out of our guys. We are happy to get a split

not a lot of teams win down here.

Hanley's goal started an offensive outburst. J.J. Plutt, Paul Warriner and Ryan Tessmer found the back of the net before the Golden Flashes could score.

The way we came in (Saturday night)

our approach on the game was different

Hanley said. Everyone was relaxed on (Friday night). Everyone thought it'd be a push-over game. (Saturday night) we took them more serious.

Kent forward Chris Hourigan beat Ohio goalie Paul Marshall - starting instead of regular Ryan Baksh in order to get some playing time - in the second period for the Flashes first goal.

Kent goals came from Derek Purvis, who had two, and Matt Major on Saturday.

Hanley scored again in the second period. Brandon Steffek, Jim Fuhs, Kurt Miller and Trevor Reynolds all had Bobcat goals.

Fuhs led all in points as he had the one goal and three assists.

For Bobcat defenseman Justin Farmer, the Kent series was his first time on the ice with an Ohio uniform. Farmer had been side-lined do to a knee injury.

I was surprised myself that I had so much ice time

Farmer said. It has been 10 months since I played in a game. I just kept my focus and played my best.

Farmer is from Mayfield Village and played against or with some of the Kent players growing up. He will only play in four more games this season in order to qualify for a redshirt. Farmer will still have four seasons of eligibility.

Ohio will travel to Michigan-Dearborn this Friday and Saturday night for two games.

17

Archives

Corey Ryan