Students keep King's dream alive with service

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.'

An excerpt of a famous speech by an even more famous man, these words have come to be emblematic of an era in history teeming with social action, legal changes and widespread community involvement.

But to a group of 18- to 24-year-olds living in a self-indulgent culture of iPods, MTV and Facebook, does the speech still hold true? Are these truths Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. so eloquently talked about still self-evident? Better yet, do we even care?

Nevertheless, a small but strong group of students showcased their support this weekend by participating in a myriad of events commemorating the legacy of Dr. King for A Day on

not a Day off.

In its third year at Ohio University, Love Luggage, a project where volunteers can decorate luggage for local foster children, is one of the largest campus-wide community service events on MLK day each year. Initially shocked at the more than 150 students who registered to assist the project and the dozens more who walked in, Joy Walker, volunteer coordinator for the Center for Community Service, saw participation in the event - and others like it - growing in Athens.

It's a perfect one-time event for students to volunteer at she said. There's no long-term commitment but it gives students the opportunity to take some time out of their hectic schedules and give back.

Lily Reeves, a local foster parent, encouraged the participants sprawled through Baker Center to live in the spirit of King and look at themselves for his message.

Dr. King was solidly rooted in the tradition of the Bible that teaches us to reach out to the least of these

she said. Everyone here today is a testament of the dream.

That same message was paralleled just one flight up in the ballroom as Dr. Kathy Humphrey, vice president and dean of students at the University of Pittsburgh, addressed a distinguished crowd that included President Roderick McDavis and first lady Deborah McDavis, at the sixth annual MLK Memorial Service Brunch. Presented by Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., of which King was a member, the service looked at how the United States has progressed since King's time.

I could spend all afternoon talking about Martin Luther King's accomplishments

but there still is so much work to be done

Humphrey said.

Perhaps the epicenter for community activity throughout the year, United Campus Ministries underwent a face lift yesterday as volunteers cleaned and fixed up the building. The work to revamp the basement of UCM will pay off in a few short days when the weekly Thursday Night Supper takes place. Lindsey Daniels, social work intern at UCM, was not surprised by students' community service activity yesterday.

Here

there is never too much trouble getting volunteers

she said. A lot of the student organizations are pretty service-oriented year round.

This 365 days a year approach to service is the dream King was talking about. Envisioning a lifestyle embodied by service, King was calling on a spirit, a culture of community service, rather than a society merely punctuated by a few ephemeral community service events. In a day in which the student body can be galvanized to fight for the right to party but can't find the time to fight for affordable education, one must wonder where King's dream stands.

Dr. King had a dream that someday people would live in a nation where they would be judged not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. Revealing such a character, illustrated at its core by such services done all weekend, some students at OU showed that, at least to some extent, they still believe in the dream.

Do you?

- Shaylyn Cochran is a junior journalism major and The Post's minority and international affairs reporter. Send her an e-mail at sc307303@ohiou.edu.

17

Archives