Walk to benefit homeless charity

The Timothy House, a homeless shelter serving nine counties in southern Ohio, will hold its 4th Annual Walk for the Homeless on Saturday.

The walk will take place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and will begin at the First United Methodist Church, 2 S. College St.

Half of the purpose of the walk is to educate the public

and the other half is to raise money said Keith Wasserman, founder and executive director of Good Works, which runs The Timothy House and other charitable services.

The walk will be divided into four parts, devoted to different aspects of life for the homeless. These aspects include employment, housing, shelter and the Timothy House.

Last year, 400 people participated in the walk, which raised $29,000 toward the $180,000 cost of operating the Timothy House this year. Good Works also receives $60,000 each year from a mix of state and federal grants.

Many people who are not usually involved in Good Works take part in the walk, including students and religious supporters from across the state, Wasserman said.

(The walk) is for people who don't do something regularly with Good Works but want to say

'I support what you do. I think it's important

and I want to stay connected through my financial involvement

' said Hylie Voss, a former Good Works employee and a leader of one of this year's walking groups.

Voss will lead a group dedicated to employment that will visit Wendy's and simulate the application process for a minimum wage job.

We want the public to understand the dilemma and the challenge of homeless people finding employment

Wasserman said. We want this to be not just information

but we want it to be a transformational experience.

The walk will also stop at Central United Methodist Church, 73 Central Ave., where walkers will learn what it means to provide a safe

clean and stable place for homeless people to stay temporarily

Wasserman said.

- Elyse Ball