Malcolm X's life, words inspire former Olympian

A call to activism led yesterday's sixth annual Malcolm X Commemorative in Baker Ballroom as two-time Olympic gold medalist Lee Evans explained how the civil rights hero affected his influence on the movement.

Ohio University cultural education professor and Malcolm X expert Najee Muhammad gave a powerful intro encouraging the audience to rethink their misconceptions about Malcolm X. Evans, who once held track and field world records, took the stage saying, he inspired us to change the world

referring to us as those who led the Olympic Project for Human Rights.

The Olympic protesters did not feel it was right for the United States to expect blacks to represent them in the Olympics if blacks were only receiving second-class citizenship once they returned, he said.

Evans said his activism began at his alma mater, San Jose State University with the United Black Students for Activism, a name he created.

Most might remember him as the militant who helped lead a boycott against the 1968 Summer Olympics. Evans knew the men who gave the famous Black Panther salute on the victory podium and were later banned from the Olympics.

They called us militant but we never fought or hurt anyone he said. We never even sent hate mail; we received lots of hate mail and they called us militant.

Evans and his fellow athletes and protesters received threats on their life after they decided to boycott.

People really wanted us to run he said. They were mad at the fact that we had the audacity to not run for them. They told us if you don't run then go back to Africa. Some even sent us tickets.

The proposed boycott consisted of 10 demands, Evan said, and the Olympic committee met nine of them, so they ran.

The boycott put more pressure on us to succeed

Evans said. It inspired us to run faster and harder; we felt we had to win.

Evans said The Autobiography of Malcolm X changed his life, referencing it as a close representation of his own. He reads the autobiography every four or five years for inspiration.

He then said the youth of today need the same inspiration as he and his peers did in the past, placing the young generation in phase three of the Civil Rights Movement.

We were in phase two and Malcolm was the head

Evans said. People my age have done their part - it's your turn. You guys have to get active for the last part to be achieved.

Sophomore Bafende James said Evans was inspirational.

I only came to fulfill a requirement and was extremely impressed

she said. I now have a better appreciation for history. His speech empowers you to think for yourself and want to affect change.

The idea for the commemorative started with Muhammad, who helped organize the event along with sponsors Lindley Cultural Center and the Black Student Cultural Programming Board.

I really enjoyed the presentation

said Linda Daniels, director of Lindley Cultural Center. He spoke about a lot of things I hadn't thought about. Everything he talked about meant something to me

because I was alive when it happened.

Evans also wrote a book about his involvement with the Olympics and the Civil Rights Movement entitled The Last Protest: Lee Evans in Mexico City.

17

Archives