Yung Joc to 'Knock it Out' in Mem Aud

This weekend, It's goin' down at Ohio University.

Rap artist Yung Joc, OU alumnus Jesty Beatz and all-female R&B group Cherish will be performing at Templeton-Blackburn Alumni Memorial Auditorium tomorrow for Sibs Weekend 2007.

Students of OU's Black Student Cultural Programming Board meet every fall to brainstorm artists they would like to see perform on Sibs Weekend, said Linda Daniels, director of multicultural programs. The group comes up with a list of about 10 performers.

Kenji Horton, booking agent for the programming board, said this year's list of prospects also included such acts as T.I., Lil' Jon and Ciara but each of those artists were eventually dismissed because they were not available or were asking for too much money to perform. But Horton said he's very happy with the eventual conclusion.

(Yung Joc) is a very hot mainstream artist now

he said.

The annual event, Daniels said, is often allotted about $50,000 to hire performers, including opening acts. More expensive headliners, such as Busta Rhymes, command the entire sum, she said. But less expensive artists allow for opening acts.

Availability is more of an issue than people would imagine, Daniels said. As Sibs Weekend occurs on the same weekend as the Super Bowl, artists often opt to travel to the Super Bowl's host city to kick it where the action is that weekend, she said.

The concert also will feature Jesty Beatz, who graduated from OU last year and performed in Athens during homecoming weekend this past Fall Quarter. Bringing Beatz back to Athens is a great thing because he pulls in a local flavor to the concert, Daniels said.

Seats are still available for the concert, Horton said, but they are expected to sell out before the concert begins. 17

Archives

Chris Yonker