Mallards add veteran blueliner Fisher

Veteran defenseman Shaun Fisher, a player the Quad-City Mallards tabbed in the summer expansion draft, has been added to the roster while young forward Domenic Maiani and rookie defenseman Iain McPhee were let go Thursday.

Coach Frank Anzalone said Fisher, a ninth-year pro who signed with ECHL Bakersfield before the coach could pursue him in the summer, brings experience, skill and help for the power play.

Fisher has played for 12 teams at the Double-A level, including a pair in the International Hockey League last year.

He has 46 goals and 238 points in 492 career games.

Anzalone indicated another young forward could be added prior to tonight's faceoff at Port Huron.

The coach said he was mulling signing former Mallard Justin Chwedoruk, who started the season in Denmark, before the player signed Wednesday with Fort Wayne.

He said Chwedoruk was a player he looked into in August, but said the Mallards depth at right wing worked against adding him after his stint in Denmark was cut short.

Anzalone said he was waiting for the player to return from overseas to make a final decision.

"I'm looking at some of the right shots we've got and I'm thinking I've to wait another weekend at least before making a decision,'' he said. "Then all of a sudden, I was told he went to Fort Wayne.''

Chwedoruk had a career-best 24 goals, 68 points and 110 penalty minutes for the 2006-2007 Mallards.