Armon Bassett

Bassett drops OU courseload, considers NBA

Junior Armon Bassett will not attend classes during spring quarter at Ohio University — adding to speculation that he might attempt to play in a professional basketball organization.

According to the Office of the University Registrar, Bassett did not enroll in classes this quarter. He was enrolled during Winter Quarter, studying Health Services Administration, according to the office.

Speculation arose this week that Bassett planned to leave OU. Bassett posted on his personal Facebook account that this was his “last week in Athens.”

Freshman Ivo Baltic tagged Bassett in a post that said Bassett was “bout to go pro.”

WTHI, the local CBS affiliate in Terre Haute, Ind. — Bassett’s hometown — reported yesterday Bassett will declare for the NBA draft, citing his friends.

Drew Wiseman, assistant director of media relations at Ohio University, would not comment on either Bassett’s enrollment or the Facebook posts.

The Terre Haute native played one season for the Bobcats. He led the Bobcats in scoring with 17.1 points per game and won the MVP award in the Mid-American Conference Tournament, which OU won.

Bassett scored 32 points during Ohio’s 97-83 victory against Georgetown in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Bassett played for two schools before OU. He began his career at Indiana and transferred to Alabama-Birmingham after one season as a Hoosier.