New Scripps director selects replacement for former job

In a year that has seen a transformation of leadership for Ohio University's journalism school, another transfer of power has taken place.

Hugh Martin, an associate professor in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, will replace Bob Stewart as associate director for undergraduate studies effective July 1.

Stewart's position opened when he was chosen to replace Tom Hodson, the director of the journalism school, who said he will step down from his position after seven years to devote more time to his family and teaching.

The director replacement was recommended with a faculty vote; however, the choice of associate director fell to Stewart. Stewart finalized his decision Monday and announced it to the journalism school faculty Wednesday.

There's a big transition that's going to be made

with moving from the current building into the renovated building and going from quarters to semesters Martin said. I would see the position of associate director primarily as someone who helps the director to make all of the work successfully.

Martin holds a bachelor's degree in economics from Indiana University, a master's degree in mass communication from the University of South Florida, and a doctorate in mass media from Michigan State University. He also spent 12 years at the The Tampa Tribune as a reporter, bureau chief and editor on the metro desk.

He spent nine years as a professor in the University of Georgia's journalism school before coming to OU in the fall of 2009 as an associate professor.

I'm interested in the economics of journalism he said. The journalism college doesn't have someone else that does economics

and I think that's why they wanted me to come here.

Although Stewart made the final decision to appoint Martin to the associate director position, Hodson's input played a role, Stewart said.

(Hodson) was certainly one of the main people I was bouncing ideas off of

and he was very supportive of this change

Stewart said.

Martin said the chance to work with Hodson was one of his incentives for coming to OU.

In addition to assisting Stewart and scheduling professors' courses, Martin will continue to teach; his current workload of six courses a year will drop to three.

In addition to Stewart's and Martin's new positions, Professor Michael Sweeney, who was hired in fall 2009, was appointed associate director for graduate studies at the end of fall quarter.

The risk is that everyone is relatively new

Stewart said, adding that his 23-year history as a Scripps professor and Sweeney's former position as a graduate student in Scripps will ease the transition. But there's a lot of continuity

even though it seems like everything's new.

As associate director, Martin will receive an annual supplement of $6,000 in addition to his base salary, which is currently $80,000. Stewart's base salary ranged from $83,140 to $86,842 during his three years as associate director, while Hodson's base pay ranged from $90,000 to $108,813 during his seven-year term as director. Stewart's and Hodson's salaries for next year are being finalized by Scripps College of Communication Dean Greg Shepherd, Stewart said.

1

News