Diversity directors take lower salaries salary

The on-campus presence of the Ohio University Women's Center, LGBT Center and Multicultural Center might suffer after the diversity center directors' salaries faced cuts in the beginning of July in the form of a full-time equivalent.

Women's Center Director Susanne Dietzel, Multicultural Center Director Linda Daniels and LGBT Center Director Mickey Hart were cut from a 12-month salary to an 11-month salary.

OU Executive Assistant Provost and Chief of Staff Ann Fidler said while the provost did not want to execute FTE reductions, doing so was necessary.

This fiscal year

we had a decline in state support and as a public institution we cannot run on a deficit budget. Cuts were necessary Fidler said. There is widespread recognition that times are tough. What I see is people pulling together to find creative ways

to cope.

As a result of the cuts and the directors' required month off of work, many of the Women's Center's usual programs are not taking place, Dietzel said.

It's ironic that my office is growing because of the work we've put in and then we're cut

she said. Many of our programs are not in place as they would have been a year ago.

Student Senate President Jesse Neader said he sees a contradiction between university-wide goals and the decision to cut diversity-focused programming.

President McDavis has said many times that his goal is to be a diverse campus and that he wants to bring diverse students to Athens

Neader said. What that says to me is that he wants to support these units. Then we turn around and we are moved to an 11-month contract.

3

Culture

Callie Driehorst