Boys' Basketball: Buckeyes lose, Spartans advance in local playoffs

Despite playing some of its best basketball coming into the game, Nelsonville-York struggled in a season-ending 61-49 loss to Meigs in the sectional finals.

Meigs led by only four points after the first quarter, but a 15-4 scoring outburst in the second quarter put the Buckeyes behind by 15 heading into halftime.

The Marauders established the advantage largely because their shots were falling with little response from the Buckeyes.

“We shot horrendously in the first half which put us in the hole — we didn’t look real sharp,” coach Jay Kline said.

Jared Dexter, one of the team’s two seniors, was all over the court doing everything he could to keep the Buckeyes’ season and his career going.

“We lost a senior today that put his heart on the line and has for Nelsonville-York for a long time in Jared Dexter,” Kline said. “ He is very important to us … he is going to be missed.”

Dexter and his teammates’ efforts fell short.  With less than three minutes left to play, the Buckeyes cut the lead to five.  But as was the case for much of the year, Nelsonville-York couldn’t convert in the close-game situation.

Casey Cox and Daniel Kline were fouled on three-point attempts, both times only coming away with one point. The team finished 6-of-23 from the free throw line.

“Told our kids afterwards we had the heart to make the comeback but we didn’t have the free throws to complete it,” Kline said. “ There is no shame in anything we’ve done today. We dug ourselves a deep hole and battled like crazy in the second half to get out of it, and couldn’t quite do it.”

ALEXANDER MOVES ON

Alexander coach Blaine Gabriel said no one thought his team would be in the position it is in after the game against Southeastern.  

But after a 39-31 win, the Spartans won their sectional and will move on to play in the district semifinals at The Convo.

The game started out slowly, as Alexander had only three points as the first quarter ended. By halftime, the score was only 14-13.

“I looked at my assistant coach and said just how in the hell could we only score three points. We’ve shot all these layups and missed them,” Gabriel said.  “We sat there and talked and said if there was any way we could get the lead we’d be in good shape.”

Jake Gray made a three-pointer to give Alexander the lead at the end of the first half, and the Spartans had the lead for the rest of the game.

Jack Hart was held scoreless in the first half but was able to contribute in other parts of the game.

“Jack (Hart) didn’t get his triple-double, but you can see what he did with his blocks and rebounds,” Gabriel said.  “He does not have to score a whole bunch of points for us to be competitive with people. “

Hart finished with eight points, 13 rebounds, and seven blocks.

Gabriel was very appreciative to the fan base after the game.

“That was huge for us tonight. Hopefully they will come out and support us at The Convo,” he said.

nr225008@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports