Swimming & Diving: Ohio leads pack after 2 days at conference championship

Whether it was the record-setting performance in the 200 freestyle relay or the 300-plus performance on the boards, the Bobcats snatched the lead after day two of the Mid-American Conference Championships.

Ohio won three events and vaulted into first place ahead of Miami and Toledo after seven events of the competition. The Bobcats have 271 points, 76 more than the second-place Rockets.

“One of the reasons why we have the lead is because we’re balanced,” coach Greg Werner said. “That’s what we’re going to have to do tomorrow and the next day is be balanced.”

Sophomore Lauren Funk had a career night as she won the 50 free with a pool record and personal-best time of 22.78, which qualified her for the NCAA “B” time.

Senior Lindsay Hamilton added a win on the 1-meter diving board with a score of 300.10, a personal best for the MAC Championships.

But perhaps Ohio’s best performance of the day came in the 200 freestyle relay. The quartet of Katey Brooks, Rachel Heim, Annie Donovan and Funk took first place and set a meet record with a time of 1:30.30.

“The ladies have been competing with a lot of passion and a lot of toughness, and obviously, that’s led to a nice lead going into the second half of the Championships,” Werner said.

Despite the large lead, Werner said he is not comfortable. Miami won the MAC Championship last year after a strong third day, and Werner said the RedHawks will look to do the same this year.   

“We know tomorrow is a big day for Miami,” Werner said. “They made a huge push last year, and they’re going with the same strategy … They’re going to make a run.”

Day three’s final-round action begins at 7 tonight with the 400 individual medley followed by the 100 butterfly, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke, 3-meter diving, and will end with the 400 medley relay.

pm312207@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports