The Ohio University Swimming and Diving team celebrate after winning the MAC Championship with a total of 669.5 points on Saturday in the Aquatic Center. This was the 11th time Ohio has taken the title (Maddie Meyer | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER).

Swimming & Diving: Ohio wins 11th MAC Championship

As almost all the swimmers, divers, trainers and coaches plunged into the pool in celebration, their faces showed the joy of winning a conference championship.

After leading for most of the week, Ohio closed it out Saturday night, winning the 2011 Mid-American Conference title in its home pool.

After being crowned MAC champions for the first time since 2008, most of the team jumped off the 3-meter board in full dress to celebrate.

“It felt great,” coach Greg Werner said. “It was quite refreshing and quite satisfying.”

Ohio’s depth propelled it to success and Saturday was no different, out-dueling defending MAC champion Toledo. With a final tally of 669.5 points — a 39-point winning margin — Ohio secured its 11th MAC Championship in school history.

“This senior class has been a tremendous senior class, that’s what I told them beforehand,” Werner said. “It’s a really special group.”

Senior Rachel Heim led the Bobcats, as she set school and MAC records in the 100 butterfly and 200 butterfly, winning both events.

She also was a member of the winning 400 medley relay team that qualified for the NCAA Tournament, a feat not accomplished for a MAC relay squad since 1993.

“It was a great meet,” Heim said. “I think the team earned it, we’ve been working hard all year.”

Senior Lindsay Hamilton finished second in the 3-meter dive but was named MAC Diver of the Year after her performance in the event sealed the win for Ohio. Hamilton also won the 1-meter dive.

“It’s just really great to see my hard work over the past five years pay off,” Hamilton said. “It’s one thing to win by yourself, but it’s something special when you do it as a team.”

Ohio entered Saturday’s final day with a 37-point lead over Toledo but never relinquished the lead after wins in the 200 backstroke and 200 butterfly began the day.

Werner was named 2011 MAC Coach of the Year after his team won the title, and he pointed to balance and depth as the major attributes for victory.

“They bought into what we’re doing,” said Werner. “(They) got the ball rolling early in the meet so really for the coach it’s just a matter of getting out of the way and letting them take over and it’s fun when that happens, when they believe and perform.”

pm312207@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports