City Council: Ordinances proposed

Representatives from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Center proposed three possible ordinances to Athens City Council at yesterday’s meeting.

The three proposals consisted of strengthening hate crime laws, constructing domestic partner benefits for city employees and creating a domestic partner registry for the city of Athens, said Mickey Hart, director of the center.

“(These proposals) send a message about the kind of community we are,” Hart said.

The first proposal, strengthening hate crime laws, will help protect individuals from bias motivated violence, said Tracy Kelly, president of Graduate Student Senate, adding that this violence could include threatening, menacing and assault.

“The purpose is to value human life and dignity,” she said.

The second proposal, constructing domestic partner benefits for city employees, would benefit family structure and the city, said Linda Nippert, a representative for the center.

The benefits could include health insurance, sick leave and housing rights for domestic partners, according to a resolution draft provided to council by the center.

“We want a city where the neighbor on your right is treated the same as the neighbor on your left,” said Councilman Elahu Gosney, D-at Large.

The final proposal, creating a domestic partnership registry, would construct a uniform system for partners to record their relationships, according to a document provided by the center.

The registry will help private and public institutions recognize domestic partnerships for purposes that could include health insurance, picking children up from school and family packages for business services, said Amelia Shaw, affairs vice commissioner for the center.  

“(This proposal) makes it easier to create family friendly policies for all customers,” she said.

Council plans to bring the three proposals forward for first reading at next week’s meeting, Council President Bill Bias said.

“We want to be as inclusive as we can and embrace all members of our community in an equal matter,” Gosney said.

eb112807@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity