Eventful break keeps police occupied

While Ohio University students were on spring break, Athens law enforcement officials remained busy.

On Wednesday, Athens Police officers were called to Downard’s Ambassador Laundry, 15 W. Stimson Ave., where two males stole the cash register, according to an Athens Police news release.

With the aid of University Police officers and deputies with the Athens County Sheriff’s Office, the two suspects were apprehended and the cash register was returned to the business.

Stewart N. Downard, 20, was charged with felony theft and Christopher Gates, Jr., 20, was charged with complicity to felony theft. Both were taken to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to the release.

Downard is scheduled for a preliminary hearing at 2 p.m. April 4 in Athens County Municipal Court.

There was an outstanding warrant for Gates’ arrest because he failed to appear in Athens County Municipal Court for a prior theft case. He also is scheduled for a preliminary hearing at 2 p.m. April 4.

Last week, Thomas W. Walker of Detroit, was arrested by Ohio State Highway Patrol on Route 33 for possession of a schedule II substance, a felony of the second degree, and possession of a schedule III substance, a third-degree felony. Walker was found with 240 40-mg Opana pills and 170 Vicodin tablets, valued at $10,960.

Dustin L. Witte, 27, of The Plains, was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon into his former workplace, Staples, 973 E. State St., according to an Athens Police news release.  

On March 19, Witte carried the weapon into Staples and told the employee he had just purchased the Smith and Wesson handgun. Witte had been fired from the business the day before, according to the release.

Witte was found in the parking lot with his gun sitting on the passenger seat of his car. An Athens Police dog indicated a positive alert in the suspect’s vehicle, and the items will be tested and further charges may be filed, according to the release.

The suspect was sent to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail and will appear in Athens County Municipal Court for a preliminary hearing today at 2 p.m.

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office also was busy March 19, when 150 marijuana plants were confiscated after a marijuana growth operation on Peach Ridge Road caused a fire, according to Sheriff Pat Kelly’s Twitter account.

as218907@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity