Forward Tommy Freeman takes a shot during the game Feb. 9 against Toledo in The Convo. Ohio won 71-58. The Bobcats play the Zips tonight. (Maddie Meyer | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Men's Basketball: Senior aims to finish last season solid

When Tommy Freeman arrived for the second session of summer school in Athens, he had one goal in mind: shoot.

With five weeks of downtime, he told himself that by the time the session finished, he would make 10,000 shots in preparation for the upcoming season.

At a rate of just fewer than 300 makes a day, Freeman set out to achieve his goal. Everything was going smooth until the Convo closed for floor renovation.

“On the last day, the Convo was closed,” Freeman said. “I had to finish at Ping. I spent five straight hours over there and hit my last 800 shots.”

The story sums up the persistence and determination of Freeman throughout his Ohio career. His work has culminated in breaking the program’s all-time 3-point record against Bowling Green and scoring his 1000th career point against Kent State.

“What he did this summer, that’s pretty typical of him,” Coach John Groce said. “… He’s a hard worker. He’s earned the right to make shots. He’s self-made.”

With senior night taking place tonight against Akron, Freeman finds himself finishing up his career on the court where he honed his craft throughout his four years.

He arrived as one of former coach Tim O’Shea’s final recruits. As a bright-eyed freshman out of Muncie, Ind., Freeman came to Athens and played sporadically in his first season before breaking into the starting lineup his sophomore year.

Through dedication on the Convo floor and in the weight room, Freeman has developed into one of Ohio’s top players and one of the team’s leaders.

“He’s so much stronger physically now than he was when he got here,” Groce said. “… The stronger you get, the more power you have in your legs when you shoot. He’s got stronger legs and a stronger body to go along with how hard he works on the court.”

Although he always dedicated himself to shooting, Freeman wasn’t always a top leader for the Bobcats, admitting he wasn’t good at it. But, a more vocal Freeman emerged after Ohio’s Jan. 22 loss to Buffalo.

Freeman called for change from his teammates and vowed that the team would change before its second round against Mid-American Conference East opponents.

Since the 73-68 loss, Ohio is 8-2, with Freeman’s leadership playing a key role in the turnaround.

“He’s a little more aggressive with his leadership than he used to be,” said fellow senior DeVaughn Washington. “He was definitely a little frustrated after that loss. Now, he’s put it together and leads with how he plays on the floor.”

With Freeman closing out his Convo career a week after breaking the school’s 3-point record, he is leaving Athens with his head up, thoroughly pleased with how his time has gone.

“I’d just say that I don’t have regrets,” Freeman said. “I can say that I don’t as my career is coming to an end. I gave it my all everyday, and I feel like I maximized my potential.”

wf743006@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports