Men's Golf: Extended breaks allow for progress

After a four-month break in between seasons, the Ohio men’s golf team began its spring campaign only to be faced with another long intercession.

The Bobcats finished tied for 13th at the Wexford Plantation Invitational Feb. 21-22 and have had the past month off. The team has spent the majority of the time playing in southern states. Coach Bob Cooley used the time for the Bobcats to practice and reorganize for their upcoming tournaments during the rest of the spring.

Cooley said the team has been practicing hard during the unique break. A scheduling change resulted in the long break, but Cooley made the most of the time. The team went to Pinehurst Resort in North Carolina to play exhibition matches against other competition.

“We played a match against Campbell over spring break and it was good to be in the south where it’s a lot warmer,” Cooley said.

Cooley said he believes the team performed well against Campbell and is making progress from the fall. The Bobcats had eight consecutive days of play in North Carolina and Cooley is looking for the team to rebound from a difficult fall.

“We are just looking to play better and better after a tough fall season,” Cooley said.

Ohio finished 10th out of 12 in the Mission Inn Classic tournament Oct. 22-24, the final tournament of the fall season.    

Cooley credited the team for showing improvement already, as he said he was pleased with the effort against Campbell. Several players, including freshmen Connor Coldwater and Ryan Denney, have impressed during the break and throughout the season so far, he said.

“The freshmen are doing a little bit better,” Cooley said. “Paul Grauer has also shown a lot of improvement.”

The Bobcats continue on with the spring season next week at the University of Kentucky’s Bluegrass Invitational.

mb832409@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports