OU health center to re-face lawsuit

A former Ohio University student is re-filing her lawsuit against the university’s health center for medical negligence.

Molly Millsop, of Vandalia, Ohio, is suing Hudson Health Center on seven counts after she was forced to have part of her right arm amputated because of alleged medical negligence by the center while she was a student at OU in 2007.

She is asking for $25,000 in compensatory damages from the center.

Millsop filed a new complaint in the Ohio Court of Claims Friday. Millsop originally sued the center Jan. 14, 2009, but voluntarily dismissed the lawsuit March 8, 2010. She had one year to re-file a complaint, according to the dismissal.

Millsop’s parents, D. Scott and Nancy Millsop, are also listed as plaintiffs on the complaint.

The claims stemmed from an incident that took place Sept. 6, 2007. Millsop went to Hudson three times on Sept. 6 with complaints of fever, headache, chills, body aches, vomiting, shortness of breath and right arm pain, according to the complaint.

The second and third time Millsop went to the center she saw Dr. Susan Right, who diagnosed Millsop with a muscle strain during the second visit. On the third visit, she was diagnosed with adjustment reaction with anxiety, according to the complaint.  

Later that day Millsop called her parents, who took her to the O’Bleness Emergency Room where she was immediately diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis, a flesh-eating bacterial infection, according to the complaint.

She was then taken to Ohio State University Hospital where she underwent surgery to have the right forequarter section of her arm amputated, according to the complaint.

Millsop is suing Hudson for negligence of standard medical care, wrongful conduct, malpractice and failure to provide proper medical care, according to the complaint.

She is also claiming great physical, mental and emotional pain to both her and her parents and permanent limit to her normal activities currently and in the future, according to the complaint.

The center has yet to issue a response to the complaint.

ml147009@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus