Show-starter: Students suggest good, bad options for concert opener

With B.o.B.’s concert a month and a half away, the University Program Council has been receiving some interesting suggestions for the opening act.

Adele, Bruno Mars, Janelle Monae, Jéan P, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Mike Posner, Mumford & Sons, Panic! at the Disco, and Passion Pit are the suggestions listed on UPC’s Twitter feed for the May 20 show. We like some of these suggestions, but there are some obstacles.

First, Kanye wouldn’t open even for God, so there’s no chance he would do so for B.o.B. Second, people should have stopped listening to Panic! at the Disco when they were 15 years old.

We would like Janelle Monae to open, but she will be playing with Bruno Mars in Montgomery, Ala. On top of that, Mike Posner already declined because of scheduling conflicts.

Lupe Fiasco is a bigger act than B.o.B., so it would be hard to imagine him as the opener — the same for Mumford & Sons. The band exploded in popularity after releasing its first album, Sigh No More.

Passion Pit does not have a show that night, so it would most likely be available. In fact, drummer Nathan Donmoyer will be doing a DJ set during 8Fest the day after the B.o.B. concert. We wouldn’t mind dancing to the electropop beats and lead singer Michael Angelakos’ falsetto.

If UPC goes the rap route, we would suggest Chip tha Ripper. He just released an album March 3, and with many Ohio University students from the Cleveland area, he would be a logical choice.

Another rap option we like is Big K.R.I.T. He’s not that big yet, but after last year’s Mario concert featured a pre-fame Wiz Khalifa, he’s got the potential.

UPC and the Black Student Cultural Programming Board also are looking into the possibility of enlisting local musicians as a warm-up act. Keeping with the rap theme, Jéan P would be perfect for the warm-up act.

UPC would like to solidify an opener by next week, so we hope the council listens to our suggestions.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.