Ohio’s Brooke Morgart tries to tag out Marshall’s Ashley Gue at second base March 8 at the Ohio Softball Field. The softball team plays Wright State today at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. (Erin Corneliussen | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Softball: Bobcats prepare for Wright State twinbill

The Bobcats’ trip out to California for spring break didn’t bring the beaches and relaxation that would usually be expected from a West Coast voyage. After a week of games in the Golden State, Ohio returns to action in the frigid Midwest.

Ohio (11-13) faces off with Wright State (12-14) in its first games since its stint in cities such as San Diego and Los Angeles during its doubleheader with the Raiders this afternoon.

Going into the game, Emily Wethington looks to continue with her recent record-breaking home run streak. She broke Erin Chapman’s career record of 22 with her 23rd home run against Canisius on March 26. She has three on the year.

In terms of her pitching ability, Wethington needs to keep pitching her style because of the offense’s ability, coach Jodi Hermanek said. Wethington is 8-5 with a 2.96 ERA

“(Wethington) just needs to stay relaxed, and stay in her game and try not to win all of the ball games for us because she has teammates helping her do that,” Hermanek said. “She has been doing very well in the circle.”

Practice continues to be focused on just making routine plays and committing to the lead-off runners, Hermanek said.

“If we can make the routine plays … and then put our lead off on (base) on offense, we will be successful,” Hermanek said.

Wethington and Melissa Bonner lead the team in batting average, hitting .367 and .326, respectively.

Wright State is coming off of a loss to Cleveland State in 10 innings after splitting a doubleheader with the Vikings the previous day.

“It’ll come down to who comes up with the timely hitting and who plays the most solid defense,” Hermanek said.  “We’ll stick to focusing on that lead-off batter — offensively we want to get our lead-off on and manufacture run, and defensively we need to keep the lead-off off base.”

Chelsea Archer currently leads Wright State with a batting average of .370 with in-fielder Justine Shilt following close behind with an average of .368.

Shilt currently leads the Raiders with six home runs and her 16 RBIs are tied with Kacie Rapshus for the team lead.

“We just need to patiently keep going throughout the whole entire game with the pressure and expectations to win,” Hermanek said. “But I think that we are playing really great softball right now, and it’s a really good time for us to be playing softball.”

oa191109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports