Women's Golf: Spring season set to begin with Rio Verde tournament

The Ohio women’s golf team opens the spring season at the Rio Verde Collegiate Invitational this weekend in Rio Verde, Ariz.

Ohio spent the offseason practicing hard and using its fall success as motivation for the spring. Coach Kelly Ovington said she believes the team will continue to keep making progress, citing their attitudes as a contribution to that success. 

“They had a great attitude in the fall and it has carried over into the spring season,” Ovington said.  

The team took advantage of a few good weather days to practice on the green during the offseason. Ovington advised her players to stay positive throughout the tournament this weekend and especially for the season. 

“It’s the first time out, and it’s making sure to stay focused even if you have a bad shot. Keeping it positive and keeping it moving in the right direction,” Ovington said.    

Freshman Kara Brinkmann and senior Erin Cahill made significant improvements since last season, Ovington said. Brinkmann has taken strides with her swing and Cahill impressed the coach after recovering from an injury during the fall season and will be ready to return to top form in the spring.

Ovington said she is not only excited to get the spring season underway but also for the tournament itself. 

“The community (Rio Verde) embraces every team and the atmosphere is exciting,” Ovington said. “We get to see all the schools in our conference and what they are doing to prepare for the (Mid-American Conference).”

Cahill produced her best performance at this meet last year with a career-best score, and she will have a chance to replicate that this weekend. 

The Bobcats finished the fall MAC Championships tied for fourth with Ball State.

mb832409@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports