Alden hosts 1st tee-time tournament

Tomorrow, an 18-hole miniature golf course will wind its way around the bookshelves, down the corridors and under the desks of Alden Library.

The Ohio University library will host the first annual Alden Open, a miniature golf tournament, at 6 p.m. tomorrow. Teams of five will play on a course that spans floors three through six.

Alden Library worked in conjunction with ImPRessions, a student-run public relations group, and Library Mini Golf, a fundraising group, to plan the event.

“Library Mini Golf works with other libraries to set up these courses, although I think we’re one of the first academic libraries to do it,” said Doug Partusch, director of development for Alden. “We’re holding the event to highlight the services and activities at the library.”

People interested in participating in the event can walk-up or register online and can register in teams of five or as individuals. If a team registers online, they can request a tee time.

The event costs $50 for teams and $10 for individuals. Proceeds will go toward the Friends of the Library scholarship fund and student research.

“We thought it would be fun to do,” Partusch said. “The course is going to take people though parts of the library they maybe haven’t been to before. We’re trying to raise a little money for student scholarships and call attention to student research.”

A variety of prizes will be offered at the tournament, including tickets to the upcoming B.o.B concert, pre-season tickets to a Cleveland Browns game and gift certificates to local businesses.

“We went to local businesses and asked for sponsorships and donations, and we talked to interested student groups,” said Meghan Tinker, a senior studying public relations and co-account executive for ImPRessions.

Talking to Athens residents and students was the first big step in planning the event.

“We started talking to people. It was different, so we didn’t know if people would like the idea or not,” Partusch said. “We tried to get some feedback, and what we heard back was very positive.”

Partusch said he hopes the tournament will become an annual event for OU.

“We would like to see it recur,” he said “With events like this, I think it takes a few years for it to become a big event. Who doesn’t want to play mini golf in the library?”

jf392708@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus